Python/New/Learn

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Fri May 6 22:07:53 EDT 2022

On 7/05/22 12:27 pm, Stefan Ram wrote:
>    But when you read descriptions in books about phonology about
>    how the mouth and tongue is positioned to produce certain
>    sounds and see pictures of this, your faulty ears are bypassed
>    and you get a chance to produce the correct sounds of the
>    foreign language even when you might not hear the difference.
>
>    So, one might actually be able to learn the pronunciation
>    of a foreign language from text in a book better than from
>    an audio tape (or an audio file or a video with sound)!

Such books would certainly help, but I don't think there's any
substitute for actually hearing the sounds if you want to be
able to understand the spoken language. In my experience, you
have to listen to it for quite a while to retrain your ears
to the point where you can even begin to pick out words from
the audio stream.

I kind-of studied French for 5 years in school, with teachers
to learn the pronunication from, but I never got a lot of
practice at it or much chance to hear it spoken. As a result I
have about a 1% success rate at understanding spoken French,
even when I know all the words being used.

--
Greg