Python/New/Learn

2QdxY4RzWzUUiLuE at potatochowder.com 2QdxY4RzWzUUiLuE at potatochowder.com
Fri May 6 08:56:28 EDT 2022

On 2022-05-05 at 16:51:49 -0700,
Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2022-05-05, Mats Wichmann <mats at wichmann.us> wrote:
>
> > Without having any data at all on it, just my impressions, more
> > people these days learn from in-person or video experiences.
>
> I've always been utterly baffled by video tutorials for
> programming. There must be people who prefer that format, but it seems
> like absolutely the worst possible option for me. You can't cut/paste
> snippets from the examples. You have to constantly pause them so you
> can try out examples. Sometimes it's not even easy to read the
> examples. Perhaps if there was an accompanying web page or PDF...

+1 (maybe more), except that an accompanying web page or PDF only solves
the problem of copying/pasting examples badly, at the expense of the
cognitive load to keep track of one more thing (because it's highly
unlikely that the web page or PDF tracks the video "automatically").

As far as easy-to-read examples go, writing them down doesn't always
help.  One of my physics textbooks used upsilon and nu to describe some
phenomenon related to lasers.  IIRC, the text, the math, and the physics
were pretty straightforward, until you looked at the fraction υ/ν in
something resembling Times Roman Italic (although, to be fair, once you
got that far, it was pretty obvious that it was upsilon over nu rather
than nu over upsilon).