Exchange OWA using Python?

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 19:26:22 EDT 2022

On 2022-03-31, Christian Gollwitzer <auriocus at gmx.de> wrote:
> Am 31.03.22 um 16:41 schrieb Grant Edwards:
>> Is anybody aware of any Python code for the Exchange OWA protocol/API?
>>
>> The OWA e-mail client I've been using has stopped working. It was a
>> commerical Python application named Hiri, wich has been abandoned by
>> the developer.
>>
>> So, for now, I'm stuck with the OWA web client. It's clumsy and
>> everything takes 3X as long to accomplish as it would with a real
>> e-mail client, but I can survive with it if I have to.
>
> I can recommend davmail as a workaround:
>
> 	http://davmail.sourceforge.net/
>
> Davmail converts OWA into regular mail protocols like POP3, IMAP, SMTP.
> You can use any email/calender client (I've used thunderbird) and most
> of it worked well.

I used Davmail in the past when the server supported EWS. AFAICT, it
does not work with the current server. If you look at the Exchange
protocols listed at http://davmail.sourceforge.net/gettingstarted.html,
OWA is not one of them:

 * O365Modern Office 365 modern authentication (Oauth2)

 * O365Interactive Office 365 with interactive browser window, not
   available in headless mode (OpenJFX required)

 * O365Manual Office 365 with interactive dialog, not available in
   headless mode

 * O365 Office 365 EWS mode

 * EWS Exchange 2007 and later

 * WebDav Exchange 2007 and earliear WebDav mode

 * Auto WebDav mode with EWS failover

> Davmail is written in Java, not Python, but basically this should
> not matter if you only use it.

Have you used it with OWA as the protocol?

--
Grant