Suggestion for Linux Distro (from PSA: Linux vulnerability)

Peter J. Holzer hjp-python at hjp.at
Wed Mar 30 04:17:44 EDT 2022

On 2022-03-30 08:48:36 +0200, Marco Sulla wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Mar 2022 at 00:10, Peter J. Holzer <hjp-python at hjp.at> wrote:
> > They are are about a year apart, so they will usually contain different
> > versions of most packages right from the start. So the Ubuntu and Debian
> > security teams probably can't benefit much from each other.
>
> Are you sure? Since LTS of Debian and Ubuntu lasts 5 years, I suppose
> the versions of the packages should overlap at some point in the past.

Standard policy (there are exceptions) on most distros is to stay with
the same version of any package for the entire lifetime. So for example,
Ubuntu 20.04 was released with Apache 2.4.41 and Python 3.8.10 and
Debian 11 was released with Apache 2.4.53 and Python 3.9.2 and they are
still on these versions. Any security fixes and other critical bug fixes
were back-ported to these versions.

        hp