Behavior of the for-else construct

Peter J. Holzer hjp-python at hjp.at
Fri Mar 4 18:25:44 EST 2022

On 2022-03-04 11:34:07 +1100, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Mar 2022 at 10:09, Avi Gross via Python-list
> <python-list at python.org> wrote:
> > The drumbeat I keep hearing is that some people hear/see the same
> > word as implying something else. ELSE is ambiguous in the context it
> > is used.
>
> What I'm hearing is that there are, broadly speaking, two types of
> programmers [1]:
>
> 1) Those who think about "for-else" as a search tool and perfectly
> understand how it behaves
> 2) Those who have an incorrect idea about what for-else is supposed to
> do, don't understand it, and don't like it.

3) Those who understand what it does und don't even find it*s syntax
very confusing, yet only very rarely find it useful.

I have probably used it a handful of times in 8 years of Python
programming. Coincidentally, I think I used it just this week - but I
can't find it any more which probably means that it was either in a
throwaway script or I have since rewritten the code.

        hp