All permutations from 2 lists

Antoon Pardon antoon.pardon at vub.be
Wed Mar 2 09:09:22 EST 2022

Op 2/03/2022 om 14:44 schreef Larry Martell:
> On Wed, Mar 2, 2022 at 8:37 AM Antoon Pardon<antoon.pardon at vub.be>  wrote:

>>> This does not work if region = []. I wrote in my question that either
>>> list could be empty.
>> What do you mean it doesn't work? The result seems to be an empty list,
>> which IMO is a perfectly valid result.
>>
>> All possible permutations over two collections where one collection is
>> empty, should IMO give you an empty collection.
> If one list is empty I want just the other list. What I am doing is
> building a list to pass to a mongodb query. If region is empty then I
> want to query for just the items in the os list. I guess I can test
> for the lists being empty, but I'd like a solution that handles that
> as down the road there could be more than just 2 lists.

How about the following: Keep a list of your lists you want to permute over.
Like the following:

permutation_elements = [["Linux","Windows"],["us-east-1", "us-east-2"]]

permutation = itertools.product(*permutation_elements)

If you don't include the empty list, you will get more or less what you
seem to want.

Antoon Pardon.