"CPython"

Eryk Sun eryksun at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 09:21:04 EDT 2022

On 6/20/22, Paulo da Silva <p_d_a_s_i_l_v_a_ns at nonetnoaddress.pt> wrote:

> Yes, but that does not necessarily means that the C has to refer to the
> language of implementation. It may well be a "core" reference to
> distinguish that implementation from others with different behaviors.

If the reference implementation and API ever switched to a different
programming language, I'd personally be fine with changing the 'C" in
"CPython" to mean "canonical", but not "core". The term "core" is used
for building the interpreter core with access to internals (i.e.
Py_BUILD_CORE, Py_BUILD_CORE_BUILTIN, Py_BUILD_CORE_MODULE, and
Include/internal/pycore*.h). It does not refer to the overall
implementation and API for embedding and extension modules.