"CPython"

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 09:09:02 EDT 2022

On 2022-06-21, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:

> Not sure why it's strange. The point is to distinguish "CPython" from
> "Jython" or "Brython" or "PyPy" or any of the other implementations.
> Yes, CPython has a special place because it's the reference
> implementation and the most popular, but the one thing that makes it
> distinct from all the others is that it's implemented in C.

I've been using CPython (and reading this list) for over 20 years, and
there's no doubt in my mind that the C in CPython has always been
interpreted by 99+ percent of the Python community as meaning the
implementation language.

Sort of like ckermit <https://www.kermitproject.org/> was the original
implementation of Kermit written in C. At the time, the other popular
implementations (for DOS, IBM, etc.) were written in assembly.

--
Grant