How to test characters of a string

Christian Gollwitzer auriocus at gmx.de
Thu Jun 9 08:23:07 EDT 2022

Am 09.06.22 um 07:50 schrieb Dave:
> Hi,
>
> I’ve found you also need to take care of multiple disk CD releases. These have a format of
>
> “1-01 Track Name”
> “2-02  Trackl Name"
>
> Meaning Disk 1 Track1, Disk 2, Track 2.
>
> Also A and B Sides (from Vinyl LPs)
>
> “A1-Track Name”
> “B2-Track Name”
>
> Side A, Track 1, etc.

Now you're getting into the complexity that is better handled by REs
than by individual character examination.
The first of your formats matches the RE

	\d-\d{2}

(one digit, - two digits). Anchor that to check for a match at the
beginning.

The second one matches

(A|B)\d-

As long as one digit is enough. What is your goal, to extract these
numbers or to strip them? Regexes can do both relatively easily.

	Christian