cpython and python and visual studio 2019

jschwar at sbcglobal.net jschwar at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 9 12:16:50 EDT 2022

I contacted Visual Studio 2019 support about this and they referred me to
this site, but I'm not sure this is a bug or not
(https://github.com/python/cpython/issues/new?assignees=
<https://github.com/python/cpython/issues/new?assignees=&labels=type-bug&tem
plate=bug.md> &labels=type-bug&template=bug.md).  If I should open a bug
request, please let me know and I will.

I'm not new to python, but I'm new to cpython and visual studio.  I need to
install Visual Studio 2019 and get the PCBuild/get_external.bat file up and
running.  I have python 3.10.4 installed.  I tried installing the Community
version of Visual Studio 2019 version 16.11, but from what I understand,
it's supposed to create a folder in my python directory called PCBuild with
that bat file in it and it doesn't.  I've searched my C drive for PCBuild
and get_external.bat and nothing is found.

I've executed this command and from what I can tell, I have installed the
correct version of Visual Studio:

python -c "import sys; print(sys.version)"

3.10.4 (tags/v3.10.4:9d38120, Mar 23 2022, 23:13:41) [MSC v.1929 64 bit
(AMD64)]

This website says to install version 16.11:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Visual_C%2B%2B

I did select the following options when installing Visual Studio 2019:

Workloads:

Python Development

Desktop Development with C++

Under python development I have selected the following:

Python native development tools

Python web support

Live Share

Python 3 64-bit (3.9.7)

Under Desktop Development with C++ I have selected the following:

Included:

C++ Core Desktop features

Optional:

MSVC v142 VS 2019 C++ x64/x86 build

Windows 10 SDK (10.0.19041.0)

Just-In-Time debugger

C++ Profiling tools

C++ CMake tools for Windows

C++ ATL for latest v142 build tools

Test Adapter for Boost.Test

Test adapter for Google Test

Live Share

IntelliCode

C++ AddressSanitizer

Windows 10 SDK (10.0.18362.0)

Can someone please help me on this?  Like I said, if I should open a bug
report, please let me know and I will.