How to replace characters in a string?

Dave dave at looktowindward.com
Wed Jun 8 04:08:19 EDT 2022

Hi All,

I decided to start a new thread as this really is a new subject.

I've got two that appear to be identical, but fail to compare. After getting the ascii encoding I see that they are indeed different, my question is how can I replace the \u2019m with a regular single quote mark (or apostrophe)?

myCompareFile1 = ascii(myTitleName)
myCompareFile2 = ascii(myCompareFileName)
myCompareFile1: 'I\u2019m Mandy Fly Me'
myCompareFile2: "I'm Mandy Fly Me"

I tried the but it doesn’t seem to work?
myCompareFile1 = ascii(myTitleName)
myCompareFile1.replace("\u2019", "'")
myCompareFile2 = ascii(myCompareFileName)
myCompareFile2.replace("\u2019", "'")
if myCompareFile1 != myCompareFile2:
    print('myCompareFile1:',myCompareFile1)
    print('myCompareFile2:',myCompareFile2)
    myLength1 = len(myCompareFileName)
    myLength2 = len(myTitleName)
    print('File Name Mismatch - Artist: [' + myArtistName + ']  Album: ['+ myAlbumName + ']  Track: [' + myTitleName + ']  File: [' + myCompareFileName + ']')
    if (myLength1 == myLength2):
        print('lengths match: ',myLength1)
    else:
        print('lengths mismatch: ',myLength1,'  ',myLength2)
        print('     ')
Console:

myCompareFile1: 'I\u2019m Mandy Fly Me'
myCompareFile2: "I'm Mandy Fly Me"

So it looks like the replace isn’t doing anything?

I’m an experienced developer but learning Python.

All the Best
Dave