How to test characters of a string

dn PythonList at DancesWithMice.info
Tue Jun 7 18:32:38 EDT 2022

>>> People ask home work questions here and we try to teach a student with hints not finished answers.
>>
>> In the future, to make it look less like a homework question, show
>> your current code, which would provide context. Last I checked,
>> homework questions don't usually involve ID3 tags in MP3 files :)

Ah, so that's where I've seen it before!
(thanks for scratching my head @Chris - but watch-out for splinters!)

Yes, the problem has been used as a training exercise, eg same song but
in different albums/play-lists, different capitalisation, and such-like;
ie 'data cleaning' and harmonisation - good for use at the intersection
of Python and SQL (or NoSQL).

Knowing the background, and thus the particular need, would have saved a
lot of time - giving the answer as code (per one of the contributions)
would have taken considerably less effort than looking-up and citing the
docs.

Perhaps then, the 'learning-opportunity' is that when such questions pop
into one's mind, 'the docs' is *the* recommended first-call?

> The original question in this thread didn't say anything about MP3
> files.  Jumping to that conclusion from strings like '05 Trinket' was
> left as an exercise for the interested reader.  :-)

This reader's interest was to figure-out why "trinket" didn't refer to
some small decoration or 'bling', nor to a Python training tool
(https://trinket.io/), but to a music group/video series.
(even more-surprising: that this grey-beard recognised one of their tracks).

On the other side of the relationship, writers are expected to follow
the PSF Code of Conduct (https://www.python.org/psf/conduct/), eg
respect, acknowledgement, grace...

Such also encourages (positive) responses when asking future questions...

Now that you (@Dave) have revealed yourself as more than a raw-beginner,
and to have skills transferable to the Python world, it'll be great to
see you 'here', contributing to others' posts...
--
Regards,
=dn