min, max with position

Michael F. Stemper michael.stemper at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 11:14:59 EDT 2022

On 04/06/2022 14.08, Stefan Ram wrote:
> "Michael F. Stemper" <michael.stemper at gmail.com> writes:
>> Are there similar functions that return not only the minimum
>> or maximum value, but also its position?
>
>    The maximum value does not need to have a unique position.

Which is something that I'll just have to live with, whether I
use home-brew or something from a standard module. For the particular
application, my lists have 24 elements and are converted from data
that is received in a %5.2f format, so collisions aren't too likely
anyway.

>    The World-Wide Web holds several suggestions like l.index(
>    max( l )) or max( enumerate( l ), key=( lambda x: x[ 1 ])).

Oh, I like that second one. I tried playing around with a lambda
function, but combining with enumerate eluded me. It's much better
than my for-loop with extraneous variables.

--
Michael F. Stemper
Psalm 94:3-6