poetry script fails to find module

Loris Bennett loris.bennett at fu-berlin.de
Fri Jul 29 04:46:43 EDT 2022

Hi Stefan,

ram at zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram) writes:

> "Loris Bennett" <loris.bennett at fu-berlin.de> writes:
>>Why is the module 'hpc' not found by the poetry script?
>
>   I have tried to execute the following sequence of shell
>   commands to understand your problem. Here they all worked
>   without error messages. Warning: Some of these commands might
>   alter your directories or data, so only execute them if you
>   are aware of their meaning/consequences and agree with them!

I do know what the commands do.  However, just to be on the safe side,
but mainly in honour of a classic dad-joke, I changed 'stoat' to
'weasel'.

> mkdir stoat
> mkdir stoat/hpc
> echo import hpc.main >stoat/main.py
> echo >stoat/hpc/main.py
> python3 stoat/main.py
> cd stoat
> python3 main.py

I guess with the production version, the package

  stoat

is visible in sys.path and thus the subpackages have to be referred to
via the main package, e.g.

  import stoat.hpc.main

However, in the development environment, if I run

  python stoat/main.py hpc user --help

then is

  stoat/hpc/main.py

being found via

  import hpc.main

because Python looks in

  stoat

as the parent directory of

  stoat/main.py

rather than the current working directory?  That doesn't seem likely to
me, but I am already confused.

Cheers,

Loris