Fwd: Simple TCP proxy

Morten W. Petersen morphex at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 17:22:39 EDT 2022

Forwarding to the list as well.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Morten W. Petersen <morphex at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Jul 28, 2022 at 11:22 PM
Subject: Re: Simple TCP proxy
To: Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com>

Well, an increase from 0.1 seconds to 0.2 seconds on "polling" in each
thread whether or not the connection should become active doesn't seem like
a big deal.

And there's also some point where it is pointless to accept more
connections, and where maybe remedies like accepting known good IPs,
blocking IPs / IP blocks with more than 3 connections etc. should be
considered.

I think I'll be getting closer than most applications to an eventual
ceiling for what Python can handle of threads, and that's interesting and
could be beneficial for Python as well.

-Morten

On Thu, Jul 28, 2022 at 2:31 PM Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Jul 2022 at 21:01, Morten W. Petersen <morphex at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Well, I was thinking of following the socketserver / handle layout of
> code and execution, for now anyway.
> >
> > It wouldn't be a big deal to make them block, but another option is to
> increase the sleep period 100% for every 200 waiting connections while
> waiting in handle.
>
> Easy denial-of-service attack then. Spam connections and the queue
> starts blocking hard. The sleep loop seems like a rather inefficient
> way to do things.
>
> > Another thing is that it's nice to see Python handling 500+ threads
> without problems. :)
>
> Yeah, well, that's not all THAT many threads, ultimately :)
>
> ChrisA
> --

I am https://leavingnorway.info
Videos at https://www.youtube.com/user/TheBlogologue