Why do I see digest replies to posts I never saw in a digest?

Peter J. Holzer hjp-python at hjp.at
Sat Jul 23 16:39:24 EDT 2022

On 2022-07-23 14:01:09 -0400, pjfarley3 at earthlink.net wrote:
> OT to the original subject, but can anyone explain to me why in the
> forum digest emails I receive I often see a reply to a post that I
> never saw the original of in any prior digest?

I think in most cases this is because both messages were posted to the
usenet group but the first one didn't make it through the gateway for
some reason (usually because the poster is banned on the mailinglist).
In this case I'm not sure which messages you are referring to, since I
see the whole chain from the one you quoted to the start of the thread
(although the one by Barry has neither an In-Reply-To nor a References
header so it isn't sorted in at the correct spot).

        hp