Pandas or Numpy

Tobiah toby at tobiah.org
Sun Jan 23 10:34:26 EST 2022

I know very little about either.  I need to handle score input files
for Csound.  Each line is a list of floating point values where each
column has a particular meaning to the program.

I need to compose large (hundreds, thousands, maybe millions) lists
and be able to do math on, or possibly sort by various columns, among other
operations.  A common requirement would be to do the same math operation
on each value in a column, or redistribute the values according to an
exponential curve, etc.

One wrinkle is that the first column of a Csound score is actually a
single character.  I was thinking if the data types all had to be the
same, then I'd make a translation table or just use the ascii value
of the character, but if I could mix types that might be a smidge better.

It seems like both libraries are possible choices.  Would one
be the obvious choice for me?

Thanks!