Why There Is No Python Compressed Archive or Binaries ?

Kirill Ratkin kvratkin at yandex.ru
Tue Jan 18 01:31:26 EST 2022

Hi Grant

Hmmm...  definitly you are right in particular solution.

But Ok, let me show example.

I often use Go in parallel with Python and sometimes I switch between
Windows/Linux also. On both systems I just download Go toolset as
tarball/zip file and unpack in place where I like.

The point here is Go toolset officially distributed as tarball/zip for
all supported operating system. This is not PortableGo or WinGo or some
anther third party Go distribution. This is one of supported way do get
Go toolset.

On Windows I put toolset on separate drive 'D:\Go' and on linux -
$HOME/.local/go

And I set up several environment variables (doing 'setx' on Windows and
edit .profile on linux): GOPATH, GOROOT, GOCACHE, ... and modify my PATH.

Now I can build any Go project. I don't care about which Go compiler was
set on OS (Linux or Windows) before. I just unpack tarball/zip in place
where I have permissions and use it.

I take Go just for example. In same way you can unpack and use Java SDK
and DotNet SDK. All these toolsets have option (provided by vendor) to
be downloaded as compressed file.

You are absolutely right. It's easy to google and find something like
winpython. But I'm sure there are reasons why www.python.org doesn't
provide this.