Getting Syslog working on OSX Monterey

Barry Scott barry at barrys-emacs.org
Mon Feb 28 17:05:05 EST 2022

> On 28 Feb 2022, at 21:41, Peter J. Holzer <hjp-python at hjp.at> wrote:
>
> On 2022-02-27 22:16:54 +0000, Barry wrote:
>> If you look at the code of the logging modules syslog handle you will see that
>> it does not use syslog. It’s assuming that it can network to a syslog listener.
>> Such a listener is not running on my systems as far as I know.
>>
>> I have always assumed that if I want a logger syslog handler that I would have
>> to implement it myself. So far I have code that uses syslog directly and have
>> not written that code yet.
>
> What do you mean by using syslog directly? The syslog(3) library
> function also just sends messages to a "syslog listener" (more commonly
> called a syslog daemon) - at least on any unix-like system I'm familiar
> with (which doesn't include MacOS). It will, however, always use the
> *local* syslog daemon - AFAIK there is no standard way to open a remote
> connection (many syslog daemons can be configured to forward messages to
> a remote server, however).

I'm re-reading the code to check on what I'm seeing. (Its been a long
time since I last look deeply at this code).

You can write to /dev/log if you pass that to
SysLogHandler(address='/dev/log'), but the default is to use a socket
to talk to a network listener on localhost:514. There are no deamons
listening on port 514 on my Fedora systems or mac OS.

That is not what you would expect as the default if you are using the C
API.

What you do not see used in the SyslogHandler() is the import syslog
and hence its nor using openlog() etc from syslog API.

Barry