C is it always faster than nump?

Dennis Lee Bieber wlfraed at ix.netcom.com
Sat Feb 26 13:40:35 EST 2022

On Fri, 25 Feb 2022 21:44:14 -0800, Dan Stromberg <drsalists at gmail.com>
declaimed the following:

>Fortran, (still last I heard) did not support pointers, which gives Fortran
>compilers the chance to exploit a very nice class of optimizations you
>can't use nearly as well in languages with pointers.

	Haven't looked much at Fortran-90/95 then...

	Variable declaration gained a POINTER qualifier, and there is an
ALLOCATE intrinsic to obtain memory.

	And with difficulty one could get the result in DEC/VMS FORTRAN-77
since DEC implemented (across all their language compilers) intrinsics
controlling how arguments are passed -- overriding the language native
passing:
		CALL XYZ(%val(M))
would actually pass the value of M, not Fortran default address-of, with
the result that XYZ would use that value /as/ the address of the actual
argument. (Others were %ref() and %descr() -- descriptor being a small
structure with the address reference along with, say, upper/lower bounds;
often used for strings).

	wlfraed at ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/