C is it always faster than nump?

Fri Feb 25 17:57:32 EST 2022

On 2/25/22 2:47 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Feb 2022 at 05:49, Richard Damon <Richard at damon-family.org> wrote:
>> On 2/25/22 4:12 AM, BELAHCENE Abdelkader wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> a lot of people think that C (or C++) is faster than python, yes I agree,
>>> but I think that's not the case with numpy, I believe numpy is faster than
>>> C, at least in some cases.
>>>
>> My understanding is that numpy is written in C, so for it to be faster
>> than C, you are saying that C is faster that C.
> Fortran actually, but ultimately, they both get compiled to machine code.

Looking at the Github repo I see:

Languages:
Python.  62.5%
C           35.3%
C++.       1.0%
Cython.   0.9%
Shell.       0.2%
Fortran.   0.1%

So there is a bit of Fortan in there, but it looks like most of the
heavy lifting is in C.

My guess is the Fortran is likely some hooks to add Fortran modules into
the program with numpy.

--
Richard Damon