Best way to check if there is internet?

Barry Scott barry at barrys-emacs.org
Fri Feb 25 17:03:24 EST 2022

> On 25 Feb 2022, at 18:07, Abdur-Rahmaan Janhangeer <arj.python at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Normally people put Python in the scripting category.
> I learnt typed languages like C++ and Java at first.
> People who learn languages like these tend to put
> Python in a non-serious category. The post was
> more ironic than litteral.

I think that python is a serious language, as I do C and C++.
What is key to a problem is which language is best to solve the
problem (given you have a free choice).

My day job is writing and maintaining a large python application.
Python allows us to use best engineering technics.

Python is used because it out performs C/C++/etc in the speed that
we can implement new features and generate revenue from them.

> After 5 years of following the mailing lists i realised
> that there is more than the eyes meet. My hobby has
> always been language engineering / compiler theory
> and just recently i realised that Python is pretty serious about
> language features.
>
> I have been following language feature proposals from various
> languages. Some decide to avoid Python's route,
> but others have been trying hard to catch up with Python.
> One gleaming example is the switch case. JS recently proposed pattern
> matching, referencing Python and explaining why the proposal
> is a cool treatment of the usecase.
>
> As a side note, if by scripting we mean OS commands,
> then Python started as a sysadmin language.

It was started as a research language to teach children programming.
Python's simplicity, that we benefit from to this day, comes from that original purpose.

And indeed one of the pleasures of the UK PYCON is seeing children present
their projects to a room full of adult programers. Seeing a 6 year old present their
working project is wonderful to behold.

Barry