Best way to check if there is internet?

Antoon Pardon antoon.pardon at vub.be
Tue Feb 22 09:04:54 EST 2022

Op 22/02/2022 om 09:40 schreef Chris Angelico:
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2022 at 19:33, Abdur-Rahmaan Janhangeer
> <arj.python at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> As discussed here but, it would have been nevertheless great to have this
>> tiny function instead of
>> nothing
>>
> Here's a function that determines whether or not you have an internet
> connection. It's almost as reliable as some of the other examples
> given - I know this, because I tried it ten times, and it gave the
> correct result every time!

So, you discovered a way of testing that is not very thorough.

> def has_internet():
>      return True
>
> Tell me, is it useful to have something that doesn't always give the
> right answer, even if it usually does? Is there any value whatsoever
> in a lie?

Yes that is useful. Live is full of that kind of situations. We in computerland
are spoiled with the accuracy we can enjoy. It seems even spoiled to the extend
that when offered a solution that is not 100% accurated we consider it a lie.

--
Antoon.