How do you log in your projects?

Marco Sulla Marco.Sulla.Python at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 15:40:07 EST 2022

These are a lot of questions. I hope we're not off topic.
I don't know if mine are best practices. I can tell what I try to do.

On Tue, 8 Feb 2022 at 15:15, Lars Liedtke <liedtke at punkt.de> wrote:
> - On a line per line basis? on a function/method basis?

I usually log the start and end of functions. I could also log inside
a branch or in other parts of the function/method.

> - Do you use decorators to mark beginnings and ends of methods/functions
> in log files?

No, since I put the function parameters in the first log. But I think
that such a decorator it's not bad.

> - Which kind of variable contents do you write into your logfiles? Of
> course you shouldn't leak secrets...

Well, all the data that is useful to understand what the code is
doing. It's better to repeat the essential data to identify a specific
call in all the logs of the function, so if it is called
simultaneously by more clients you can distinguish them

> - How do you decide, which kind of log message goes into which level?

It depends on the importance, the verbosity and the occurrences of the logs.

> - How do you prevent logging cluttering your actual code?

I have the opposite problem, I should log more. So I can't answer your question.