pygame.midi input/output not working

Thomas Passin list1 at tompassin.net
Wed Dec 21 17:23:47 EST 2022

On 12/21/2022 4:32 PM, Patrick EGLOFF wrote:
> HI,
> Some time ago I wrote a small software using pygame.midi
> It worked just fine with Win10/ python 3.9 / SDL 2.0.14 / pygame 2.0.1
>
> I had to change my computer and now I installed Win10 / Python 3.11.1 / SDL
> 2.0.18 / pygame 2.1.2
>
> The following instructions don't work anymore, making the IDE stop
> execution :
>
> my_input = pygame.midi.Input(MidiDeviceIn)
> midi_out = pygame.midi.Output(MidiDeviceOut)
>
> Does someone have a suggestion?

The pygame web site says this:

"Pygame still does not run on Python 3.11"

Also from the same page:

"Make sure you install python with the "Add python to PATH" option
selected. This means that python, and pip will work for you from the
command line."

See https://www.pygame.org/wiki/GettingStarted#Pygame%20Installation

So what to do until pygame runs in Python 3.11?  I'd install an earlier
version of Python.  You can have several versions on your machine at the
same time.  Remember, you have to install all the required packages with
each version of Python - they don't use each other's code or libraries.