Fwd: Installation hell

Thomas Passin list1 at tompassin.net
Tue Dec 20 08:59:56 EST 2022

On 12/20/2022 8:11 AM, Eryk Sun wrote:
[snipped]
>> I know we're not here to bash Windows, but... drive letters
>> really need to just die already.
> I don't foresee drive-letter names getting phased out of Windows. And
> Windows itself is unlikely to get phased out as long as Microsoft
> continues to profit from it, as it has for the past 37 years.

Microsoft won't get rid of them for backwards compatibility reasons,
aside from the sheer difficulty of changing all that code.  The company
has always been very industrious about keeping backwards compatibility
for Windows.  I have compiled Delphi Windows GUI code from 2003 and even
earlier that still runs, as one example.