Fwd: Installation hell

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 18:01:40 EST 2022

On 2022-12-19, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:

> So much easier to do on a Unix-like system, where you don't need to
> concern yourself with "effective drive" and can simply use relative
> paths. I know we're not here to bash Windows, but... drive letters
> really need to just die already.

They needed to "die already" 40 years ago. I was a Unix user before
MS-DOS came out, and I was rather stunned by the whole drive letter
thing. It seemed like such a giant step backwards. I figured that once
hard drives became common, drive letters would die. Nope, they're
still failing strong!

--
Grant