pip/setuptools: Entry points not visible from pkexec-root-environment

c.buhtz at posteo.jp c.buhtz at posteo.jp
Mon Dec 19 01:36:49 EST 2022

Dear Barry,
thanks for reply and asking back.

Am 18.12.2022 22:33 schrieb Barry:
> Why are asking on this list and discuss.python.org?

To be exact I'm asking in the "Packaging" section of
"discuss.python.org". To my knowledge that section is the official
channel of "pypa/pip" project pointed to from there own README.md [1].
To be complete. I also asked in in context of "pypa/setuptools" [2] and
on the debian-python mailing list.

Not all questions are exactly the same but touching the same meta topic.
"pypa/setuptools" themselfs pointed me to the fact that they are not
responsible for generating the entry-point-scripts but "pypa/pip" is. No
matter both have "pypa/" in their names they seem technically different.
This has reasons but is very confusing for "developers from the outside"
like me. There are also alternative build-tools other then "setuptools".
That is why I asked on that python-list here, too. The later was in the
hope to maybe be pointed to alternative solutions away from setuptools
and/or pip.

My apologize. When I decide for a solution I will point you to a
demonstrator repository illustrating that solution.

[1] -- <https://github.com/pypa/pip#readme>
[2] -- <https://github.com/pypa/setuptools/discussions/3729>