How to get the needed version of a dependency

DFS nospam at dfs.com
Wed Dec 14 08:38:54 EST 2022

On 12/14/2022 3:55 AM, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
> If I want to know the dependencies for requests I use:
>      pip show requests
>
> And one of the lines I get is:
>      Requires: certifi, charset-normalizer, idna, urllib3
>
> But I want (in this case) to know with version of charset-normalizer
> requests needs.
> How do I get that?

Check the METADATA file in the *dist-info package files usually found in
Lib\site-packages.

ie  \Python\3.11.0\Lib\site-packages\pandas-1.5.2.dist-info

Look for config lines beginning with 'Requires':

Requires-Python: >=3.8
Requires-Dist: python-dateutil (>=2.8.1)

$ pip list will show you which version of the package you have
installed, so you can search for the matching .dist-info file