Nonuniform PRNG?

David Lowry-Duda david at lowryduda.com
Wed Dec 7 17:37:10 EST 2022

On Wed, Dec 07, 2022 at 03:28:47PM -0300, Sabrina Almodóvar wrote:
>As far as I know, the state-of-the-art in statistical tests against
>PRNGs is the TestU01 library, available at
>
>  http://simul.iro.umontreal.ca/testu01/tu01.html

I'm familiar with this type of test. But as far as I can tell and have
seen, these tests only tst against *uniform* PRNGs. I am not aware of
any written tests against nonuniform PRNGs.

I suspect it would be possible to mirror a lot of the ideas. For
example, one common PRNG statistical test is to make many of matrices of
various sizes and to study the ranks of these matrices. Presumably one
could do a similar statistical analysis against what would be expected
for any particular probability distribution. Running a candidate PRNG
through this test will produce some sort of distribution, after all.

But it would be much nicer if work on statistical tests against
nonuniform PRNGs had already been done somewhere.

--
David Lowry-Duda <david at lowryduda.com> <davidlowryduda.com>