on the python paradox

David Lowry-Duda david at lowryduda.com
Wed Dec 7 10:58:09 EST 2022

On Mon, Dec 05, 2022 at 10:37:39PM -0300, Sabrina Almodóvar wrote:
>                          The Python Paradox
>                             Paul Graham
>                             August 2004
>
> [SNIP]
>
> Hence what, for lack of a better name, I'll call the Python paradox:
> if a company chooses to write its software in a comparatively esoteric
> language, they'll be able to hire better programmers, because they'll
> attract only those who cared enough to learn it. And for programmers
> the paradox is even more pronounced: the language to learn, if you
> want to get a good job, is a language that people don't learn merely
> to get a job.
>
> [SNIP]

I wonder what the appropriately esoteric language is today?

We can sort of think of go/rust as esoteric versions of C/C++. But what
would be the esoteric python?

Perhaps Julia? I don't know of any large software projects happening in
julia world that aren't essentially scientific computing libraries (but
this is because *I* work mostly with scientific computing libraries and
sometimes live under a rock).

- DLD