Contributing to cpython

Thomas Passin list1 at tompassin.net
Tue Dec 6 17:05:19 EST 2022

On 12/6/2022 3:24 PM, ramvikram singh wrote:
> Greetings,
> I learnt python this year and visiting the python issue tab for the last
> two months, but there is a problem which I am facing I understand the issue
> after reading the few times but I can't think about how to modify the code
> as per the issue. Could you please help me with this?

There is a page about contributing work on code to Python at

https://devguide.python.org

It starts out:

"This guide is a comprehensive resource for contributing to Python – for
both new and experienced contributors."

You should study this guide carefully.  If you don't know how to use
git, clone a repo, work with git branches, what a pull request is, and
so forth, you need to get some basic familiarity with working with those
tools and concepts.    You should be able to file new issues on GitHub
and contribute to their discussion thread.  If you want to actually
contribute code, you should be able to build Python yourself, as covered
in the guide.

After that, you should remember that while help is welcome, the Python
code base has a long history and a change that seems obvious to you may
not work because of other constraints on that part of the codebase.  I
once suggested a change in a particular function for finding executable
files so that it would look in some other locations too. I learnt that
this function was intended for internal use by distutils, and that it
needed its quirks to work properly in its intended use.  No one wanted
to take a chance on changing it.

I'm not saying you cannot or should not try to contribute useful
changes.  I'm only saying that you need to get prepared - do your
homework - first, and to not be discouraged if your first efforts are
not accepted.