FTP without username and password

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 10:55:53 EST 2022

On Wed, 7 Dec 2022 at 02:51, ^Bart <gabriele1NOSPAM at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> usually I use this code on my Debian Bullseye:
>
> # python3 -m pyftpdlib -i 192.168.0.71 -p 21 -d /home/my_user/ftp
>
> It works, it's simply easy and perfect but... a device in my lan needs a
> ftp folder without username and password!
>
> I tried to search on internet how to set the code above to be available
> without username and password but... I didn't understand how to fix it :\
>
> Obviously I could use a workaround like Samba or another machine where I
> have a Vsftp server but... I'd like to fix Python! ;)

I assume it HAS to be FTP, otherwise you'd set up something much more
secure like ssh (or scp or sshfs, which are built on it), done with an
authorized key rather than a password.

In general, "anonymous FTP" is done technically with a username and
password. Can you look at how the device tries to connect, and then
make that username (probably "anonymous") and that password (could be
anything, traditionally was an email address) valid for fetching?

ChrisA