unable to resolve readline issues

Eryk Sun eryksun at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 15:08:36 EST 2022

On 12/2/22, biglee12672 at gmail.com <biglee12672 at gmail.com> wrote:

> From this point on Python became unusable as I uninstalled rebooted then
> reinstalled to find I have the same issues as stated.  Finally uninstalled
> Python as it doesn't perform as usual especially trying to understand the
> use of pyreadline, gnureadline and or just readline.

When Python runs interactively, it implicitly tries to import the
readline module. On POSIX, Python has a builtin readline module that
usually uses the GNU Readline library.

On Windows, Python does not include a readline module. Instead, if
standard I/O is a console, the high-level WinAPI ReadConsoleW()
function is used, which implements its own line editor and
command-line history. It's not as general, flexible, or capable as the
readline interface, so a third-party pyreadline package was
implemented for Windows. However, as far as I know, pyreadline is no
longer actively developed. Thus it has out-of-date code, which may be
broken in newer releases of Python, such as isinstance(x,
collections.Callable).

Your choice is to either patch pyreadline to fix the bug or uninstall it.