What can I do about this?

Peter J. Holzer hjp-python at hjp.at
Mon Aug 29 15:06:21 EDT 2022

On 2022-08-29 13:43:18 -0400, gene heskett wrote:
> On 8/29/22 12:50, Mark Bourne wrote:
> > Roel Schroeven wrote:
> > > $ pip3 install -r requirements.txt  # finally invoke pip3
> > >
> > > or:
> > >
> > > $ {path_to_venv}/bin/pip3 install -r requirements.txt
> That got me to showstopper #2: (lengthy warniing)

[...]
>       checking for dbus-1 >= 1.8... no
>       configure: error: Package requirements (dbus-1 >= 1.8) were not met:
>
>       No package 'dbus-1' found

Since this message comes from configure, it is probably looking
for the development version of the dbus library here.

    apt search dbus-1

reveals (among other things):

    libdbus-1-dev/jammy 1.12.20-2ubuntu4 amd64
      simple interprocess messaging system (development headers)

(this is on Ubuntu, so the version number is probably different, but the
package name should be the same as on Debian.)

So you invoke

    apt install libdbus-1-dev

and try again. At which point you will probably discove another missing
library. Rinse and repeat.

Ideally the README should mention such dependencies, but since the exact
names of the packages depend on the distribution, it will often be vague
unless you happen to use the same distribution as the developer.

        hp