Problem using cx_Freeze > auto-py-to-exe

Dennis Lee Bieber wlfraed at ix.netcom.com
Thu Aug 18 21:54:36 EDT 2022

On Thu, 18 Aug 2022 12:17:25 -0600, David at Booomer <david at boomer.org>
declaimed the following:

>I did count but hadn’t noticed this argument list before you mentioned it. However, I still don’t see any of these argument names in the Executable list or anywhere else.

	It's your responsibility to provide them when you called Executable().
As I said, you are (were?) providing a whole bunch of .py files, which were
being mapped to these arguments.

>"""
>argument name				description

>script						the name of the file containing the script
>which is to be frozen

		prjui.py

>init_script					the name of the initialization script that will
>be executed before the actual script is executed; this script is used to
>set up the environment for the executable; if a name is given without an
>absolute path the names of files in the initscripts subdirectory of the
>cx_Freeze package is searched

		Maiui.py

>base						the name of the base executable; if a name is
>given without an absolute path the names of files in the bases subdirectory
>of the cx_Freeze package is searched

		about.py

>target_name				the name of the target executable; the default
>value is the name of the script; the extension is optional (automatically
>added on Windows); support for names with version; if specified a pathname,
>raise an error.

		dict.py

>icon						name of icon which should be included in the
>executable itself on Windows or placed in the target directory for other
>platforms (ignored in Microsoft Store Python app)

		geometry.py

>manifest					name of manifest which should be included in
>the executable itself (Windows only - ignored by Python app from Microsoft
>Store)

		getEquation.py

>uac-admin					creates a manifest for an application that will
>request elevation (Windows only - ignored by Python app from Microsoft
>Store)

		gtrail.py

>shortcut_name				the name to give a shortcut for the executable
>when included in an MSI package (Windows only).

		main.py

>shortcut_dir					the directory in which to place the
>shortcut when being installed by an MSI package; see the MSI Shortcut table
>documentation for more information on what values can be placed here
>(Windows only).

		matchingstring.py

>copyright					the copyright value to include in the version
>resource associated with executable (Windows only).

		producelatex.py

>trademarks					the trademarks value to include in the version
>resource associated with the executable (Windows only).

		readfile.py

and
		separete.py
		speak.py
are not mapped to anything, hence the too-many arguments error.
>"""

	As you can see, a lot of those don't even fit with the data type of the
argument.

>I tried passing just main.py or one of the others that might be a starting point but just got ’NoneType has no len()

	What did the traceback say? Just reporting the last line message is
meaningless.

>Then I searched for ‘python executable’ and found auto-py-to-exe and pyinstaller which I must/might explore later. First tries ran into PyQt4 to PyQt5 conversions. Good start at https://towardsdatascience.com/how-to-easily-convert-a-python-script-to-an-executable-file-exe-4966e253c7e9

	Note that pretty much all such python->executable scheme is just making
an archive of the required Python source files, and packaging the core of
the Python interpreter is such a way that running this archive is simply
extracting the source files and running the packaged Python interpreter
with them.

	wlfraed at ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/