Trying to understand nested loops

GB NOTsomeone at microsoft.invalid
Mon Aug 8 10:42:09 EDT 2022

On 08/08/2022 12:59, Dan Purgert wrote:
> dn wrote:
>> On 06/08/2022 11.41, avi.e.gross at gmail.com wrote:
>>> I wonder if someone is pulling our leg as they are sending from an
>>> invalid email address of "GB <NOTsomeone at microsoft.invalid>" which is
>>> a bit sick.
>
>> There are a number of folk who use evidently false email addresses - the
>> OP's had me amused.
>
>> Such 'hiding' is a matter for the List-Admins (thanks for all the work
>> exerted on our behalf!) and how it fits with the Code-of-Conduct.
>
> Invalid sending addresses (email at somewhere.invalid) are a standard
> practice in Usenet, to combat bots scraping posts for email addresses
> (remember, Usenet predates basically all spam prevention tech).
>
> As there is a gateway between the mailing lists and Usenet, I *imagine*
> that the use of said invalid addresses are within the rules -- I mean,
> if they weren't, the maintainers wouldn't keep the two lists
> connected.

The history in my case is as follows:

Years ago, I used Outlook Express, and, for setting up NG access, they
suggested an example email address: someone at microsoft.com.

I did not want to give my true email address, lest it be 'scraped', so I
used: NOTsomeone at microsoft.com.  I added the NOT, to avoid misleading
people.

Later, I was prevailed upon to change com to invalid.

List admins? This particular NG appears to be blessedly free of spam,
but I hadn't realised it is moderated?