Trying to understand nested loops

avi.e.gross at gmail.com avi.e.gross at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 12:37:26 EDT 2022

This reminds me a bit of how routine spelling checkers and often especially
grammar checkers, generate so many suggestions about mistakes as to become
ignored. If you are writing using lots of names and jargon that keep getting
flagged as errors and they are spelled or used exactly as you want, then it
gets to be too annoying and you turn off the feature. Yes, you can sometimes
silence some things in a spell checker that allows you to add words to a
custom dictionary but for now, that dictionary is not known to every
application that checks your spelling.

That can be the nature of the beast. If your compiler decides to warn you
every time you do a division that you might be dividing by zero because you
do not perform the test right before that, then you end up with code that
tests it AGAIN after having arranged for the value to never be zero in the
first place, then test it again when you divide something else by it, ...

I am sure some programming language has some kind of pragma that lets you
whisper to the compiler that this variable at this time is guaranteed not to
be zero, or that the region is in a try/catch zone which will intercept and
fix the results of a divide by zero error.

Just an example. And as you say, new or improved compilers can be made to be
ever more picky about trying to find possible anomalies.

Things are useful when they are somewhat manageable. If a compiler things it
detects 372 places in your code where the same thing needs to be mentioned,
such as reserving space for an object without simultaneously filling it with
some contents, then it would be nice if instead of printing ALL of them, it
consolidated it into one warning and say you can click on something to see
the 372 instances.