Which linux distro is more conducive for learning the Python programming language?

avi.e.gross at gmail.com avi.e.gross at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 16:22:45 EDT 2022

To be clear, the discussion strikes me oddly.

You can learn python without a computer. Of course to actually have people
write code and try it out is another story.

Python by itself is simply a program that can be typed into an interpreter
or given a file to process and works just as well on LINUX, Windows and so
on. I have half a dozen varieties on my machine from various
modes/distributions.

As some have pointed out, any RECENT version of python (presumably the 3
version unless your goal is to teach the older version) should be fine for
teaching but obviously all kinds of tools can help. But there are online
resources that may be adequate that require NOTHING but a browser:

https://py3.codeskulptor.org/

The above URL allows you to create and run and save python files and is
probably adequate for teaching basics and for sharing programs others have
saved by sending you the URL.

Of course, beyond a certain point, it fails to meet needs such as not
supporting importing random modules.

But as was discussed here before, you can find little time to teach python
if you also have to teach every environment and editor and especially handle
students using other choices. But to ask everyone to use the same LINUX
distribution may also be a drastic step.

The reality is that simple python programs can be handled with any standard
text editor. Sure, lots of bells and whistles can be added and there may
well be advantages to using systems ranging from anaconda  to lately RSTUDIO
but they often come with many superfluous features and lots of complexity.