Which linux distro is more conducive for learning the Python programming language?

dn PythonList at DancesWithMice.info
Wed Aug 3 23:03:58 EDT 2022

On 04/08/2022 14.31, Paul Bryan wrote:
> I wouldn't say any particular Linux distribution is appreciably better
> for Python development than another. I would suggest using a version of
> a Linux distribution that supports a recent Python release (e.g. 3.9 or
> 3.10).

+1

As a Python-learner (there's no comment about current programming
expertise), it is unlikely to make any difference which Linux distro is
used.

Answers to such open-ended questions are usually seated in bias - which
in-turn is mostly likely to be the same answer as 'which is the Linux
distro *I* use?
(I've used a number, with Python, over the years)

The better alignment is to match the version of Python with the book or
course you are using as learning-materials. That way, there are unlikely
to be surprises.

There are differences in Python implementations between Linux, Mac, and
Windows. However, I can't think of a book or course which spends any
time discussing them, or having a chapter which demands one or other OpSys.

When you become more experienced two things will happen: firstly you
will start using tools which enable the use of different versions of
Python for different dev.projects; and secondly you will form your own
opinions of "best"!
(it's not difficult to change distro)

PS most of us will qualify for RedHat's Developer program[me] and free
copies of software.
--
Regards,
=dn