Printing Unicode strings in a list

Stephen Tucker stephen_tucker at sil.org
Thu Apr 28 07:32:22 EDT 2022

Hi PythonList Members,

Consider the following log from a run of IDLE:

==================

Python 2.7.10 (default, May 23 2015, 09:40:32) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)]
on win32
>>> print (u"\u2551")
║
>>> print ([u"\u2551"])
[u'\u2551']

==================

Yes, I am still using Python 2.x - I have good reasons for doing so and
will be moving to Python 3.x in due course.

I have the following questions arising from the log:

1. Why does the second print statement not produce [ ║]  or ["║"] ?

2. Should the second print statement produce [ ║]  or ["║"] ?

3. Given that I want to print a list of Unicode strings so that their
characters are displayed (instead of their Unicode codepoint definitions),
is there a more Pythonic way of doing it than concatenating them into a
single string and printing that?

4. Does Python 3.x exhibit the same behaviour as Python 2.x in this respect?

Thanks in anticipation.

Stephen Tucker.