tail

dn PythonList at DancesWithMice.info
Sun Apr 24 16:08:17 EDT 2022

On 25/04/2022 04.21, pjfarley3 at earthlink.net wrote:
> [...]

Thanks for the clarification (and @wlfraed's addition).

Apologies if misunderstood. The above comment was about utilities which
would choose between algorithms, based on some rapid, initial,
assessment of the task. It was not about 'tail' utility/ies specifically
- and I don't recall using a 'tail' on mainframes, but...

Thus, the observation that the OP may find that a serial,
read-the-entire-file approach is faster is some situations (relatively
short files). Conversely, with longer files, some sort of 'last chunk'
approach would be superior.
--
Regards,
=dn