Suggestion for Linux Distro (from PSA: Linux vulnerability)

Peter J. Holzer hjp-python at hjp.at
Sat Apr 16 11:12:51 EDT 2022

On 2022-04-16 16:49:17 +0200, Marco Sulla wrote:
> Furthermore, you didn't answer my simple question: why does the
> security update package contain metadata about Debian patches, if the
> Ubuntu security team did not benefit from Debian security patches but
> only from internal work?

It DOES NOT contain metadata about Debian patches. You are
misinterpreting the name "debian". The directory has this name because
the tools (dpkg, quilt, etc.) were originally written by the Debian team
for the Debian distribution. Ubuntu uses the same tools. They didn't
bother to rename the directory (why should they?), so the directory is
still called "debian" on Ubuntu (and yes I know this because I've built
numerous .deb packages on Ubuntu systems).

For example, here is the patches directory of one of my own packages:

% ls -l debian/patches
total 24
-rw-r--r-- 1 hjp hjp  982 Sep 12  2017 makefile
-rw-r--r-- 1 hjp hjp  966 Sep 12  2017 makefile-all
-rw-r--r-- 1 hjp hjp  367 Jan 15  2021 makefile-checkmk.diff
-rw-r--r-- 1 hjp hjp  849 Dec 14  2017 makefile-check_cronwrapper
-rw-r--r-- 1 hjp hjp 1126 Sep 12  2017 makefile-mkdir
-rw-r--r-- 1 hjp hjp   86 Jan 15  2021 series

5 patches in the subdirectory debian/patches (the file "series" just
contains the list of patches in proper order). None of these patches was
written by Debian. They were all written by me. Yet they are all in a
subdirectory "debian/patches", because that's where they have to be for
the tools to find them (yes, this is on Ubuntu).

        hp