No shortcut Icon on Desktop

Mirko mirkok.lists at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 15 21:07:34 EDT 2022

Am 15.04.2022 um 18:53 schrieb Mats Wichmann:
> On 4/15/22 08:59, Grant Edwards wrote:
>
>> Of course it's easy to add. But, we're talking about people who have
>> no idea how to do that. They have no clue how to "navigate to the
>> install directory". They don't even realize anything _was_ installed.
>

> I dunno, it's a pretty WIndows-y thing,
> But anyway...

Yes, it is a pretty "Windows-y thing". How do Windows software
installers work? What do they do? They add shortcuts to the desktop.
 I do not use Windows for myself since many years, but it is hard
for me to remember any software that did not add those shortcuts.

> right-click + create shortcut.

Right-click on what and where? On something called "IDLE" (has what
to do with python?). Right click on "python.exe" which gives some
wired texty DOS-window (or how that thing is called) where one can
do what?

Don't get me wrong. I do not ask those questions. Myself, I'm
perfectly able to compile Python from source on pretty much any
system you throw me at. But we are talking about people who are new
to programming.

AFAIK, almost every Windows tool/application/utility does add those
desktop shortcuts/icons/links. Newcomers expect, want and need some
editor or IDE or "app". Just put a "Python" folder on the desktop
with an "IDLE Python Editor" on the desktop and done.

How hard is it do add that functionality to the Windows installer?
Because I just can't see any reason not to do it.

What is there to lose in trying/doing that? What dire consequences
does that might have?