Suggestion for Linux Distro (from PSA: Linux vulnerability)

Marco Sulla Marco.Sulla.Python at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 15:03:00 EDT 2022

On Tue, 29 Mar 2022 at 00:10, Peter J. Holzer <hjp-python at hjp.at> wrote:
> They are are about a year apart, so they will usually contain different
> versions of most packages right from the start. So the Ubuntu and Debian
> security teams probably can't benefit much from each other.

Well, this is what my updater on Lubuntu says to me today:

Changes for tcpdump versions:
Installed version: 4.9.3-0ubuntu0.18.04.1
Available version: 4.9.3-0ubuntu0.18.04.2

Version 4.9.3-0ubuntu0.18.04.2:

  * SECURITY UPDATE: buffer overflow in read_infile
    - debian/patches/CVE-2018-16301.patch: Add check of
      file size before allocating and reading content in
      tcpdump.c and netdissect-stdinc.h.
    - CVE-2018-16301
  * SECURITY UPDATE: resource exhaustion with big packets
    - debian/patches/CVE-2020-8037.patch: Add a limit to the
      amount of space that can be allocated when reading the
      packet.
    - CVE-2020-8037

I use an LTS version. So it seems that Ubuntu benefits from Debian
security patches. Not sure about the contrary.