OT: AttributeError

2QdxY4RzWzUUiLuE at potatochowder.com 2QdxY4RzWzUUiLuE at potatochowder.com
Tue Sep 28 22:03:47 EDT 2021

On 2021-09-29 at 09:21:34 +1000,
Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 9:10 AM <2QdxY4RzWzUUiLuE at potatochowder.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 2021-09-29 at 11:38:22 +1300,
> > dn via Python-list <python-list at python.org> wrote:
> >
> > > For those of us who remember/can compute in binary, octal, hex, or
> > > decimal as-needed:
> > > Why do programmers confuse All Hallows'/Halloween for Christmas Day?
> >
> > That one is also very old.  (Yes, I know the answer.  No, I will not
> > spoil it for those who might not.)  What do I have to do to gain the
> > insight necessary to have discovered that question and answer on my own?
>
> You'd have to be highly familiar with numbers in different notations,
> to the extent that you automatically read 65 and 0x41 as the same
> number ...

I do that.  And I have done that, with numbers that size, since the late
1970s (maybe the mid 1970s, for narrow definitions of "different").

There's at least one more [sideways, twisted] leap to the point that you
even think of translating the names of those holidays into an arithmetic
riddle.

> ... Or, even better, to be able to read off a hex dump and see E8 03
> and instantly read it as "1,000 little-endian".

59535 big endian.  Warningm flamebait ahead:  Who thinks in little
endian?  (I was raised on 6502s and 680XX CPUs; 8080s and Z80s always
did things backwards.)