XML Considered Harmful

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 12:49:03 EDT 2021

On Tue, Sep 28, 2021 at 2:30 AM Michael F. Stemper
<michael.stemper at gmail.com> wrote:
> As far as power is concerned, this is utility-level generating fleets,
> so it's always going to be MW -- even in the US, where we still use
> BTUs for heat.

It's easy for *you* to know, and therefore assume, that it's always
MW. But someone else coming along will appreciate some sort of
indication that it's MW and not (say) KW or GW.

I've spent a long time decoding other people's file formats, trying to
figure out what unit something is in. "Huh. The date seems to be
stored in........ hours?!?"

ChrisA