XML Considered Harmful

Mostowski Collapse bursejan at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 09:46:13 EDT 2021

BTW: I think its problematic to associate Java with XML.

Michael F. Stemper schrieb am Dienstag, 21. September 2021 um 20:12:33 UTC+2:
> On the prolog thread, somebody posted a link to:
> <https://dirtsimple.org/2004/12/python-is-not-java.html>

The above linke is very old, from 2004, and might apply
how Java presented itself back in those days. But since
the Jigsaw project, XML has practically left Java.

Its all not anymore part of the javax.* or java.* namespace,
Oracle got rid of XML technologies housing in these
namespaces, and there is now the jakarta.* namespace.

Example JAXB:
Jakarta XML Binding (JAXB; formerly Java Architecture for XML Binding)
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jakarta_XML_Binding

If I remember well, also XML never went into the Java
Language Specification, unlike the Scala programming
language, where you can have XML literals:

XML literals in scala
https://tuttlem.github.io/2015/02/24/xml-literals-in-scala.html

An easy protection against tampered XML data vulnerabilities
is DTD or some other XML schema language. It can at least catch
problems that are in the scope of the schema language.