XML Considered Harmful

Mike Dewhirst miked at dewhirst.com.au
Fri Sep 24 02:33:32 EDT 2021

I had to use XML once because that was demanded by the receiving machine over which I had no say.I wouldn't use it otherwise because staring at it makes you dizzy.I would want to know how the data are derived from the multiple sources and transmitted to the collating platform before pontificating.Then I would ignore any potential future enhancements and choose the easiest possible mechanism. I have used json with python and been delighted at the ease of converting data into dicts and even arbitrary nesting where data values can also be dicts etc.Good luck--(Unsigned mail from my phone)
-------- Original message --------From: dn via Python-list <python-list at python.org> Date: 24/9/21  15:42  (GMT+10:00) To: python-list at python.org Subject: Re: XML Considered Harmful On 24/09/2021 14.07, Stefan Ram wrote:> dn <PythonList at DancesWithMice.info> writes:>> With that, why not code it as Python expressions, and include the module?> >   This might create a code execution vulnerability if such >   files are exchanged between multiple parties.The OP's spec, as quoted earlier(!), reads:"It's my own research, so I can give myself the data in any format thatI like."Whither "files are exchanged" and/or "multiple parties"? Are theseanticipations of problems that may/won't ever apply? aka YAGNI.Concern about such an approach *is* warranted.However, the preceding question to be considered during the design-stageis: 'does such concern apply?'. The OP describes full and unique agency.Accordingly, "KISS"!NB my personal choice would likely be JSON or YAML, but see reservations(eg @Chris) - and with greater relevance: shouldn't we consider the OP's'learning curve'?(such deduced only from OP's subsequent reactions/responses 'here' -with any and all due apologies)-- Regards,=dn-- https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/python-list