XML Considered Harmful

Michael F. Stemper michael.stemper at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 10:52:59 EDT 2021

On 21/09/2021 19.30, Eli the Bearded wrote:
> In comp.lang.python, Michael F. Stemper <michael.stemper at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've heard of JSON, but never done anything with it.
>
> You probably have used it inadvertantly on a regular basis over the
> past few years. Websites live on it.

I used to use javascript when I was running Windows (up until 2009),
since it was the only programming language to which I had ready
access. Then I got a linux box and quickly discovered python. I
dropped javascript like a hot potato.

>> How does CSV handle hierarchical data? For instance, I have
>> generators[1], each of which has a name, a fuel and one or more
>> incremental heat rate curves. Each fuel has a name, UOM, heat content,
>> and price. Each incremental cost curve has a name, and a series of
>> ordered pairs (representing a piecewise linear curve).
>>
>> Can CSV files model this sort of situation?
>
> Can a string of ones and zeros encode the sounds of Bach, the images
> of his sheet music, the details to reproduce his bust in melted plastic
> extruded from nozzle under the control of machines?
>
> Yes, CSV files can model that. But it would not be my first choice of
> data format. (Neither would JSON.) I'd probably use XML.

Okay. 'Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both no
and yes.' (I'm not actually surprised to find differences of opinion.)

>> [1] The kind made of tons of iron and copper, filled with oil, and
>> rotating at 1800 rpm.
>
> Those are rather hard to model in CSV, too, but I'm sure it could be
> done.

> for bonus round, use punched holes in paper to encode the ones and zeros

I've done cardboard.

--
Michael F. Stemper
No animals were harmed in the composition of this message.